Is there any harm looking for the moments of the day that make today different to others? I believe not! Life being a series of moments, it is only right to acknowledge some of them occasionally. Maybe I am off my rocker or maybe some of you will like to hear my little gems for today. They might help you see something tiny that was in your life today that was an unexpected gem.
There is no light bulb moment or awe inspiring thrill seekers’ experience here. You see being a Mother might be tough, but here is one benefit. The fun is in the small things. No need to pay for tickets to Springsteen (and lose a night’s sleep 😨) when you can find happiness in your garden. Or on your telly.
We will tell ourselves that anyway.
So here are my little gems. These made me smile. Today. 24th August 2016.
1. My WW class. I love this morning class. It cracks me up. The smartpoints we have wrong. The things we do right. The leader, Patricia is a professional people person and I don’t care who knows it. A brilliant leader. Only for her, my doctor and I would be falling out over my BMI. So I smiled today. Even though I was a half pound up. The class made me laugh as we discussed coffees and their points throughout Ireland.
2. I left class and had a coffee. Had a longin’ after all that chat! I believe a coffee should always be sniffed before you drink it. For me, that is half the point of a coffee. Just before you add milk, take a long feel inhale in your nostrils. Amazing. So I did. A little gem of a moment.
3. The Rose of Tralee. I have alluded to this bizarre (but lovable to us Irish as it is our daft tradition ) competition of …well I can’t really say what. You see the parody on Fr Ted (Lovely Girls Competition) seems too close the event to not ring true. Read Fr Ted and nineties Ireland… A nod to Frank Kelly. Anyhow, despite my adult reservations of what it stands for, the show has lovely memories for me as a child. I loved it. I wanted to be a rose so badly. I always spent that week in my Granny’s house in Roscommon. We watched together, making bets and genuinely bonding. That time is sadly past but the memory is strong. The show still makes me smile. Especially when mad stuff happens at it. Poor Cavan rose had to deal with a petitioner for father’s rights storm the stage midst her turn. I am not against the cause. It is just very Fr Ted -esque to see this particlar storming! I felt sorry for the girl as it interrupted her interview but the incident made me howl laughing and I keep watching it. Wanna see it? Click here I didn’t even watch the whole show. Just the funny bits. Like the stage invasion. It is still a gem that made me laugh. That and the lovely memory of competitions past in my Granny’s house.
4. Body suits. I know. You wonder! You know those adult babygros vests with the button under flaps? These are back in fashion. I didn’t buy any. However they make smile as I remember 1992 and the ones I once had. I was a skinny twelve year old and thought them the height of fashion. No bulgy tummy worries.I see them on shelves in Penneys today and I smile.
5. My biggest gems are obviously my little ladies. Today’s post however is about little gems. So a little gem that they offer is when both make eye contact and it makes them giggle. That makes me giggle. It makes me proud, happy and overwhelmed. They did that this morning when they woke up. Sweet as an iced gem biscuit. Remember those?
So you see! I can have a gem filled day without heading to Italy or having a white water raft ride! No need to shop in designer stores or hit the top theatre. Big moments can arrive in small packages. They may seem silly to some.To me they are little gems. They make the day better.
Have you any to share?
I just want to thank all people who took time to vote for fancypaper at the Littlewoods Ireland Blog Awards. Voting is now over. I will let you know how we do!