I have been reading Cherie again and followed her lead. Having been visiting Deb’s blog from Tumbarumba, Cherie from Michigan but living in Germany has taken on her Christmas Tag and now I will write my Irish version. Let’s take this global and get festive!
1. What is your favourite Christmas film?
I will always adore It’s a Wonderful Life. It is my Christmas must watch- even if it is only a few minutes. Other must include any Indiana Jones but especially the last crusade. Elf is my must quote movie. Mary Poppins is my childhood bite of nostalgia and sentiment. I could rattle on here.
2. Have you ever had a White Christmas?
I think so! We have had blizzards and great freezes here. Last year we had the bread crisis (See Beastly Effects) although not on Christmas itself. When I was young we definitely had one snowy Yule.
3. Where do you usually spend your holiday?
We stay in this county. Christmas Eve is hopping out to one Nanna for a party, Christmas day is in our home and dessert out in another Nanna’s.
4. What is your favourite Christmas song?
Live Aid and Feed the World is synonymous with my childhood as an eighties baby. What a time piece. I love A Winter’s Tale too. I think the song that really stands the test of time with me however is Crosby and Bowie version of another classic- The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth. Nostalgia punch.
5. Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve?
Many. We have a party at my in laws where gifts are exchanged. It is heavy on presents.
6. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Let us just say yes. Here is my wall.
7. What holiday traditions are you looking forward to most to?
Making our new ones with our small family and working on keeping old ones.
8. Is your Christmas tree real or fake?
Fake. The year of the real tree is still a talking point about here. The bare twig.
9. What is your all-time favourite holiday food/sweet treat?
Big question. The Christmas ham obviously. I like a strawberry Milk Tray. Or seven.
10. Be honest: do you like giving gifts or receiving gifts better?
Giving is the best. The buying, the wrapping, the opening. Fun.
11. What is the best Christmas gift you’ve ever received?
I had a healthy baby that was born two months to the day before Christmas so that was a happy relief. Little Betsy. She then got to be presented as the baby Jesus at mass symbolizing new life. That was a whole different ball game of emotions.
12. What would be your dream place to visit for the holiday season?
Star’s Hollow from The Gilmore Girls. Not sure where the image below is but that looks nice too.
13. Are you a pro-present wrapper or not?
I wrap. It may not be pretty but it gets done. A gift is better if you cannot see it straight away.
14. Most memorable Holiday moment?
I am currently remembering a lot of primary school moments. The nativity scenes that we put on are especially with me. I always wanted to be Mary or an angel but that ever happened. I was pregnant cousin Elizabeth once which was very embarrassing for a nine year old in her school play performed in the local church to the town.
15. What made you realise the truth about Santa?
I found the presents in a high cupboard. I was about nine. It was knitting season in school. I was looking for big old clackety needles and found my Lego castle and Go For Broke. Died inside a little.
16. Do you make New Years resolutions? Do you stick to them?
I make some sort of promise but I forget if I kept them. Probably not. Handy!
17. What makes the holidays special for you?
The little world around standing still for one day. We are a young family so making traditions is lovely. The girls love seasons. It makes me enjoy every part of the year much more having them in our lives. Nothing is more special than that.
18. What do you wish for Christmas this year?
19. Favourite Christmas smell?
Cinnamon. Marzipan. Amaretto. There is a Yankee candle that has a powerfully calming effect on me which is a lemon and lavender combination too. I need several of those.
20. What is the worst/weirdest gift you’ve ever received?
There have been plenty but I cannot think right now so they can’t have been so bad. Or am I being diplomatic…
21.Favourite holiday drink?
I suppose I like Prosecco but I do not indulge much at Christmas now. Hot chocolate is my current seasonal tipple. I mashed up a candy cane and sprinkled it on my hot chocolate yesterday. That was cool in an ironic way.
22. Have you ever spent Christmas in another country? If yes, where?
No. I have been to Bruges and Barcelona straight after however.
23. What place/landmark in your town do you love during Christmas?
The crib in the church. It doesn’t change and reminds me of childhood.
24. Were you naughty or nice this year? You know that Santa is watching.
What consists of naughty or nice when you are 38?? I will go with a decisive no comment!
Bonus Question:25. Do you own/wear a Christmas themed jumper or t-shirt?
I have an entire Christmas wardrobe. A jumper for every day for a fortnight. Why ever not? Today I am wearing an image of a festive reindeer. I am not shy about dressing to suit my mood.
Happy Christmas to one and all! Consider yourselves tagged🎅